Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Claudia's 'flow of thought' soup

One of the luxuries of being soft survivalists is that you just don't have to be all too strict with yourself . Making soup for example. A hard ass survivalist would only accept stuff you grew yourself or foraged as a proper soup for lunch.
No such problem here. I borrowed a thought from Claudia and last night set about having 'flow of thought' vegetable soup for lunch today. The thought was...well...what do I have in the cupboard that I could start with. Answer, a packet of dried red beans.
How hard can this be, to think a little ahead? So I soaked the beans over night in the crock pot then set about finding whatever vegetables I could lay my hands on in the morning. Sure enough I found plenty. Malabar Spinach, Japanese Eggplant, Sweet Potato vine tips, Star beans, Snake beans and then a carrot from the fridge.
Dumped the whole roughly chopped mess, oh yeah, onion and bay leaf too, into the crock pot and set out on my mornings fishing expedition.
I have never made it before, I'll probably never make it exactly the same ever again. But my 'flow of thought' vegetable soup was a much appreciated welcome home.




Had two bowls of this goodness before I was done.

Didn't catch a lot of fish but I'm once again being happily stalked by my spirit animal.

Nice to see them looking out for me.

1 comment:

  1. I have been making soups from garden vegetables (backyard and farmers market): zucchini, beets, spinach...

    ReplyDelete